Tuesday, March 7, 2017

A Variation of Disappointment



Hey, friends.

Last week, I blogged about a writing contest I entered on Twitter called "#PitchMadness." Let me assuage your fears right here and confirm that it lived up to its name. Also referred to in my mind as #PitchAddiction, it became equal parts both: madness and addiction.

St. James Park, London

The best part of this contest was the people I met and connected with. Kind of like watching the now-defunct American Idol, where the contestants became great friends, we all competed against one another and rooted for one another, which brought its own special kind of camaraderie. In the end, though, we each wanted one thing: to be picked. Over thirteen hundred writers vying for sixty (then, added bonus at the last possible moment, seventy) spots.

You do the math. 

I wasn't picked. The disappointment was thicker in my throat than I had anticipated. Because now I had to let go of the hope I'd held onto for over a week. Which brings me to an author's/editor's blog post that I remembered shortly after not "getting picked."

The title of her post is exactly that: Getting Picked. Instead of me going on, I'll let Jennie Nash's words speak for me. You should follow her blog, too, and sign up for her newsletter. Wonderful information packed in every post. For now, read this:

http://jennienash.com/how-to-write-a-book-blog/2016/8/26/getting-picked

As a nice surprise sidebar, there were a few professional editors running little contests of their own within #PitchMadness in which they offered to choose one, two, or ten people, and critique the manuscript first pages for those of us who weren't "picked" for #PitchMadness. I was "picked" as one of two winners by editor Lyla Lawless to critique my query letter and first chapter. Thank you, Lyla. It's just the salve I need to lessen the sting of disappointment. And also quite generous of you and the other editors to offer your services for free in this manner.

St. James Park in the spring. London.

If you care to share, I'd love to hear your comments about a time you didn't get picked, and how you overcame the disappointment. Did you use it to forge ahead and become better? Or redirect your path to a different one, where your talents could more properly shine? I hope you did, because I think each time we're not picked, it serves a particular purpose. It's our job to search for and find that purpose. 

With spring just around the corner, I hope you enjoy the photos and a little taste of what's to come soon. Because spring is always a time of hope and renewal. Another, "just what I need right now."

St. James Park

No comments:

Post a Comment